A cold weekend
Saturday morning I woke up to my insistent alarm completely uninspired to get my butt out of bed and roll over to Lake Harriet for the women's ride. I checked the weather to discover that it was about 8 degrees out, and was even less motivated, but more awake. So I got up and started the half hour process of getting dressed to ride in the frickin cold.
About a dozen women showed up and we headed out around the Lakes, Minnehaha Pkwy, over to St Paul, across Wabasha, and then turned toward Lilydale. Holy crap it was like hitting a wall of ice. I didn't realize the wind had been behind us the whole way (still half asleep) and it was a rude awakening to turn into the wind. We came back across the Mendota bridge and then people split ways. When I finally got home, I'd been out for 3 hours and I could not feel my feet, so I sat on the floor of the shower for a half hour until I could finally stand on them. Awesome. I thought I'd be set for the rest of the day, and I even decided to crank up the heat to 68. After a couple hours, though, I realized that it was really chilly, and the house temp had actually gone down to 59. After some investigation, Paula and I concluded that the furnace definitely wasn't kicking in for anything, and we weren't getting any heat.
About the fourth furnace people company we called had someone they could send out. He arrived and went into the basement for some tinkering, and then came up and let us know that the furnace needed to be replaced. And they weren't going to be able to do it until Monday. Yikes.
Thank goodness for good neighbors - they loaned us two space heaters and we cranked them up. Two seconds later the house was dark - we blew a fuse. All in all, I think we've blown a fuse about 10 times so far this weekend. And when we finally got the temp over 60 this evening, it was cause for celebration. Tomorrow should bring a new furnace. We'll see.
About a dozen women showed up and we headed out around the Lakes, Minnehaha Pkwy, over to St Paul, across Wabasha, and then turned toward Lilydale. Holy crap it was like hitting a wall of ice. I didn't realize the wind had been behind us the whole way (still half asleep) and it was a rude awakening to turn into the wind. We came back across the Mendota bridge and then people split ways. When I finally got home, I'd been out for 3 hours and I could not feel my feet, so I sat on the floor of the shower for a half hour until I could finally stand on them. Awesome. I thought I'd be set for the rest of the day, and I even decided to crank up the heat to 68. After a couple hours, though, I realized that it was really chilly, and the house temp had actually gone down to 59. After some investigation, Paula and I concluded that the furnace definitely wasn't kicking in for anything, and we weren't getting any heat.
About the fourth furnace people company we called had someone they could send out. He arrived and went into the basement for some tinkering, and then came up and let us know that the furnace needed to be replaced. And they weren't going to be able to do it until Monday. Yikes.
Thank goodness for good neighbors - they loaned us two space heaters and we cranked them up. Two seconds later the house was dark - we blew a fuse. All in all, I think we've blown a fuse about 10 times so far this weekend. And when we finally got the temp over 60 this evening, it was cause for celebration. Tomorrow should bring a new furnace. We'll see.
6 Comments:
Ugh, that sucks! I hope the new furnace arrives on time!
LGR headquarters is toasty.
...i'm just saying.
The furnace has been installed and we are warm! Yay!
But, dis, does that mean if I join the team I get to hang out at your sweet pad whenever I want?
we have a key waiting...
so... what's new?
anything to blog about?
harry2? you need a new nickname.
Post a Comment
<< Home