Of Course...
The day after I put cash money down on my new (used) car, I get a phone call from the Minneapolis Police telling me that they've recovered my old (used) car. Awesome. Timing couldn't be better (if you're sensing a bit of sarcasm, well, you're sharp). So the cops say that, no, they have no clue who took my car or why, but that the ignition is punched in and it was towed from a private property. They "recovered the car at 18:00" (6pm for non-militaries), but for some reason didn't manage to place a call to me until 10pm.
Anyway, they told me to call the impound lot, where I would be able to claim my car. So I called the lot:
Me: Hi, I think you have my stolen car.
Lot Girl: Is it a Honda Civic with Michigan plates?
Me: Yep, that's the one.
Lot Girl: OK, well, you can come get it tonight for $245. The ignition is punched in though, and it doesn't run.
Me: So, lemme get this straight. I have to PAY you to get my car that was STOLEN from me?
Lot Girl: That's right. And if you wait until tomorrow, it will cost $270. It goes up $25 per day.
Me: (in total disbelief) How am I supposed to pick up the car if it doesn't run?
Lot Girl: You'll have to call another towing company to get it towed.
Me: And if I don't???
Lot Girl: Then it will keep going up $25 per day for 10 days. Then it will go up by $50 per day. After 21 days, we'll sic the collections agencies on you.
Me: You've got to be f***ing kidding me.
Lot Girl: I'm not.
Me: Do you realize that you're telling me that I'm going to have to pay around $400 just to get back my own car that was stolen from me and is now totally jacked up and undriveable?
Lot Girl: Yep, that's right.
Me: That's soooo f***ed up. I didn't authorize anyone to tow my stolen car!
Lot Girl: Hmmmmm.
Me: This is f***ing ridiculous! Do you realize that?
Lot Girl: Hmmmm, it happens all the time.
Me: Thank you, you've been very helpful. Good night.
I like to end my phone conversations on a good note.
Maybe Donimator can go in there with the Hummer and put my Civic inside it and just drive off.
Anyway, they told me to call the impound lot, where I would be able to claim my car. So I called the lot:
Me: Hi, I think you have my stolen car.
Lot Girl: Is it a Honda Civic with Michigan plates?
Me: Yep, that's the one.
Lot Girl: OK, well, you can come get it tonight for $245. The ignition is punched in though, and it doesn't run.
Me: So, lemme get this straight. I have to PAY you to get my car that was STOLEN from me?
Lot Girl: That's right. And if you wait until tomorrow, it will cost $270. It goes up $25 per day.
Me: (in total disbelief) How am I supposed to pick up the car if it doesn't run?
Lot Girl: You'll have to call another towing company to get it towed.
Me: And if I don't???
Lot Girl: Then it will keep going up $25 per day for 10 days. Then it will go up by $50 per day. After 21 days, we'll sic the collections agencies on you.
Me: You've got to be f***ing kidding me.
Lot Girl: I'm not.
Me: Do you realize that you're telling me that I'm going to have to pay around $400 just to get back my own car that was stolen from me and is now totally jacked up and undriveable?
Lot Girl: Yep, that's right.
Me: That's soooo f***ed up. I didn't authorize anyone to tow my stolen car!
Lot Girl: Hmmmmm.
Me: This is f***ing ridiculous! Do you realize that?
Lot Girl: Hmmmm, it happens all the time.
Me: Thank you, you've been very helpful. Good night.
I like to end my phone conversations on a good note.
Maybe Donimator can go in there with the Hummer and put my Civic inside it and just drive off.
13 Comments:
Wow that sucks! Once you get the car though you should be able to fix the ignition and sell it and recover your costs at least. Civics are easy to sell.
yeah that happened to me, twice.
stupid blazer. i guess they're easy to steal.
then, as part of my community service we got to pick up trash in the impound lot for 3 days... hooray.
that place is pure evil.
Govt nickle and dime game.
I got the same run-around when my house was burglarized. I had to pay the city $12 for a copy of the police report THEY WROTE IN MY HOUSE so I could send it in to the insurance company.
Talk to your city councilperson. But, you live in Mpls, which makes councilpeople worthless. Good luck.
That's one of those things that is really funny when it happens to someone else.
I'm speechless. And I think my jaw was hanging open by the time I finished this story . . .
So sorry, Karla!!!! That BITES!
Finally, a good use for Donimator's Hummer.
Just wait until you have to deal with the insurance side of things...should be about as fun as dealing with Lot Girl.
Wow, that's unbelieveable. My jaw was hanging as well. Sorry to hear the story and hopefully you get it worked out!! Good luck!
If you want to save some money, I'd suggest renting a tow bar at U-haul or whatever. It's easy to attach to another car so that you can get it out of there, and it's probably cheaper than hiring a tow truck. Good luck.
You can't fight city hall. Suxxors.
If your insurance company "totaled" the vehicle, you might not own it anymore.. SO.. I might not be your problem.. though you should notify them that *their* vehicle has been found..
Alternatively, you might be able to get a drag, drive, tow company to get it for free by signing it over to them...
Alternatively, you might be able to sign it over to charity...
It's always worth something as scrap iron, so.. You've got that going for you..
If it sits in the lot for long enough, the city will sell it at auction. I don't think this removes your responsibility though.. which sucks...
Hey, you never told us what car you ended up getting...
Or we could just run it over and then the insurance company would have to total it out...unless of course you only have liability on it.
No, don't run it over, I only have liability! So I'm getting NO help from my insurance. Ugh.
Steven - I haven't let the cat out of the bag on the new car yet, cause I didn't want to jinx myself... I won't actually have it in my possession until this afternoon. And what with all I've been through with the old car, I'm not feeling lucky :)
Post a Comment
<< Home