Track in Blaine!
I arrived in Minneapolis as planned, and went straight to Paula's house (my old house!) for the night. We caught up until it was too late, and then finally went to bed. My mom and I took a nice little ride the next day around the Lakes. I found myself amazed at how extensive, smooth, and functional the bike paths are in this city - I had totally forgotten.
Then, I finally got to race on the track at Blaine again Thursday evening. Wowzers it was so fun. I got up there early to get a rental bike and try to fiddle around with the gearing a bit. Gilby got there too, and we decided that since the bike had a 48 on the front, I would warm up in the 16 that was currently on it, and then switch to a 15 to race. Good plan.
So I started the pre-race routine, and everyone started showing up - Strats, (dis), super-rookie, Don, Tom, Phil, the Little Guy himself, Tuffy, Smithers, Skibby, HWood (spectating), Timmer, and lots of women racers too - Sara B, Jessica, Barb, Megan, the Dahlman sisters, and a couple others too. Holy blogger-land.
The women's first race was a snowball - sprints every 4 laps for different point values - 12, 6, 6, and 8. It came up faster than I expected, so Gilby and I barely had time to change my cog and then I raced up to the rail to line up. Something didn't feel right, and there were some funny noises going on with my bike. They sent us off the rail, and it soon became clear that this just wasn't happening - my chain was slipping. I came off the track, and the lovely officials delayed the start so that I could get the bike put together. A bunch of Grumpy's guys came running over with tools and extra wheels, etc, and we discovered that the problem was that the rental bike had a road chain and didn't fit any of the cogs. Shit. So we threw the 16 back on there, and I went to go and spin spin spin in the race.
I was spinning out on the first sprint and couldn't even move up, so when the pace slowed down, I decided to attack. I got off the front by myself, and managed to stay there for the next two sprints, which was cool, but gave me a solid case of track lung. In the final though, I was left behind - Gilby almost came around for that sprint, but one of the Dahlmans took it. They were wicked fast!
Then we had the keirin. What a funny race. Where did the keirin come from anyway? Who decided one day, "hmmm, it would be a great idea if we had a motorcycle on this silly round oval, and it would be great if we got these funny bicycle riders to chase it on their non-motorcycles." That's what we did. Basically, I just didn't want to draw the number 1 position, because then I would be obligated to take the wheel of the motorcycle, consequently leaving me at the front in the wind when it pulls off with 2.5 laps too go. But of course, I drew the number 1 position, not only for the preliminary round, but also for the final. Who does that? It wasn't such a successful race for me, but Gilby managed a 3rd and I came in after her with a 4th. I also have to mention that I had perhaps the most supreme holder in the entire race.
Last was the points race. I don't actually remember what happened in the points race because I was so busy enjoying the wonderful infield scene of spandex-clad Minnesotans milling about talking shit with each other and watching the hot racing action with stellar commentary from Bob Williams. And also trying to pick out my mother in the crowded bleachers to give her a wave. It was 30 laps though, and I do remember Strats pulling out a big attack at the end of the race to really get the speed going. Afterwards, Dave came up and gave me $10 - not bad for third place!
So it rocked. I'm so glad it didn't rain.
Friday morning, we woke up and headed to Green Lake Wisconsin for my first NRC race. More to come on that later.
Then, I finally got to race on the track at Blaine again Thursday evening. Wowzers it was so fun. I got up there early to get a rental bike and try to fiddle around with the gearing a bit. Gilby got there too, and we decided that since the bike had a 48 on the front, I would warm up in the 16 that was currently on it, and then switch to a 15 to race. Good plan.
So I started the pre-race routine, and everyone started showing up - Strats, (dis), super-rookie, Don, Tom, Phil, the Little Guy himself, Tuffy, Smithers, Skibby, HWood (spectating), Timmer, and lots of women racers too - Sara B, Jessica, Barb, Megan, the Dahlman sisters, and a couple others too. Holy blogger-land.
The women's first race was a snowball - sprints every 4 laps for different point values - 12, 6, 6, and 8. It came up faster than I expected, so Gilby and I barely had time to change my cog and then I raced up to the rail to line up. Something didn't feel right, and there were some funny noises going on with my bike. They sent us off the rail, and it soon became clear that this just wasn't happening - my chain was slipping. I came off the track, and the lovely officials delayed the start so that I could get the bike put together. A bunch of Grumpy's guys came running over with tools and extra wheels, etc, and we discovered that the problem was that the rental bike had a road chain and didn't fit any of the cogs. Shit. So we threw the 16 back on there, and I went to go and spin spin spin in the race.
I was spinning out on the first sprint and couldn't even move up, so when the pace slowed down, I decided to attack. I got off the front by myself, and managed to stay there for the next two sprints, which was cool, but gave me a solid case of track lung. In the final though, I was left behind - Gilby almost came around for that sprint, but one of the Dahlmans took it. They were wicked fast!
Then we had the keirin. What a funny race. Where did the keirin come from anyway? Who decided one day, "hmmm, it would be a great idea if we had a motorcycle on this silly round oval, and it would be great if we got these funny bicycle riders to chase it on their non-motorcycles." That's what we did. Basically, I just didn't want to draw the number 1 position, because then I would be obligated to take the wheel of the motorcycle, consequently leaving me at the front in the wind when it pulls off with 2.5 laps too go. But of course, I drew the number 1 position, not only for the preliminary round, but also for the final. Who does that? It wasn't such a successful race for me, but Gilby managed a 3rd and I came in after her with a 4th. I also have to mention that I had perhaps the most supreme holder in the entire race.
Last was the points race. I don't actually remember what happened in the points race because I was so busy enjoying the wonderful infield scene of spandex-clad Minnesotans milling about talking shit with each other and watching the hot racing action with stellar commentary from Bob Williams. And also trying to pick out my mother in the crowded bleachers to give her a wave. It was 30 laps though, and I do remember Strats pulling out a big attack at the end of the race to really get the speed going. Afterwards, Dave came up and gave me $10 - not bad for third place!
So it rocked. I'm so glad it didn't rain.
Friday morning, we woke up and headed to Green Lake Wisconsin for my first NRC race. More to come on that later.

4 Comments:
damn straight.
sweet! glad you are having fun on the big banking!
the AVC at hellyer was fun this weekend. i even got to match sprint jennie reed! gotta love seed times! she went easy on me. now i can say in my christmas cards that i biked with an olympian! we missed you out there- but hopefully i'll see you wednesday!
sounds like such a fun time!
nice to see you again!
Post a Comment
<< Home