Saturday, May 13, 2006

Withrow TT

So, the Birchwood Bettys laid the smack down a bit today. But my race was not too bad, considering...

Where do I start? How about this morning, when I woke up at 6:45am, feeling groggy. Then remembering that Jodi was supposed to pick me up at 6:45. Crap! Whatever, preparation is overrated, and we were on the road by 7:00. At least I remembered to preset the coffee-maker, so there was a fresh pot waiting for me. We got to the race and it was a bit windy, overcast, and threatening to rain. So I rolled on over to the start on my TT bike (which means, my road bike with a budget pair of profile aerobars). I got a decent start, settled into a rhythm, was feeling pretty good, and then.... hissssissssissss. I tried to ignore it, thinking, "there must be something rubbing. I don't have a flat." But yeah, I did. I got off the bike and was standing on the side of the road like a moron, scratching my head and trying to figure out the next step. Maybe it would be better to just run off into the woods, so I could keep the yellow jersey? I watched one person fly past. Dammit.

Then Jodi came TT-ing along, and started hollering, "do you want my bike?" I'm not gonna lie, I was struck pretty dumb. But she wasn't. "Take my bike! You have a race to win! I'll fix your bike!" So I jumped on. The saddle was a good three inches too low, and my Time Impact cleats weren't exactly fitting into her Look pedals, but what the hell. I don't care to re-live the next 9 miles or so, except to say that I did indeed complete them. Thank you Jodi. What an amazing teammate. And thanks to Jodi, Velo Bella is still in possession of the leader's jersey for the MWCMR series! In the end, it seems that my frustration with the flat was actually helpful and motivated me to push it through the race into second place. By 3 seconds. Congrats to Betty G, however, who got a sick wheelset for her win. I didn't do too bad myself with some new shimano 215 road shoes! And it started pouring right after the last racers finished. Great race, great schwag, stupid flat tire, AMAZING teammate. race pics here

4 Comments:

Blogger Strats said...

Jodi is a total rock star for taking one for the team!! You got new Shimano shoes and Gilby got wheels? Holy sweet schwag! Congrats on keeping the leader's jersey!

4:45 PM  
Blogger Eclectchick said...

Way to go, Karla!!! Hurray for Jodi!!! Hurray for the Bellas!!! This is awesome.

8:57 PM  
Blogger Velo Bella said...

Sounds like you should give one of the shoes to Jodi.

7:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey what a great site keep up the work its excellent.
»

8:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home